Thursday 4 November 2010

Training Paces

I have always trained according to heart rate.  However, based on my new training philosophy, I am going to spend more time training at the 'right pace'.  But what is the right pace?  Apparently it is all to do with VDOT scores.

Based on my recent 10k run time of 39.32, my VDOT score is 52.66. (http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp)

VDOT is a way of determining your training intensity based upon a recent race performance.  VDOT refers to the rate at which oxygen is consumed – the volume of oxygen consumed per minute.

Once you have established your VDOT score, you can then identify the paces that you should be training at (according to the running coach Jack Daniels).

According to the Jack Daniels tables, my training paces should be:

Pace Type

Mile
Kilometre
Easy / Long
E/L
8:11
5:05
Marathon
M
6:58
4:20
Threshold
T
6:34
4:05
Interval
I
6:02
3:45

Again, according to my VDOT score, which is based on my 10k time, my equivalent racing times for various distances should be:

Race                   
Time
Mile
5:34
5k
19:04
Half Marathon
1:27:30
Marathon
3:02:03

My current best times are a long way short of this:  

Race                   
Time
Half Marathon
1:34:30
Marathon
3:42:00

Whilst I don’t expect to go out and run these times and at these paces in my next race, it does give an indication of what sort of times can be achieved with the right training!

Now let’s lace those trainers up and get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment